September 2017 PTO meeting minutes
1. The meeting was called to order.
2. Introductions happened. We were so glad to see so many new faces! Thanks for attending and participating.
3. New business: The PTO board is in the process of revising the bylaws. (Review the bylaws at www.hbpto.net under forms.) Proposed changes will be presented and voted on in the October meeting. These proposed changes are:
· Remove the automatic Vice President to President transition after one year.
· Remove term limits: elections held every spring.
· Add 503c filing requirements to Treasurer duties.
· Add social media management duties to the Vice President duties.
4. Volunteer coordinator update:
· Family Fun Night (the movie “Sing) will be on Sept. 29th.
· A Read-a-thon party planning group will be meeting soon. If you are interested in participating, contact the PTO board.
· We need a chair person for Woodland pizza fundraising. Contact a board member for more information.
· If you have Box Tops with a November expiration date, please bring them to school asap.
· Don’t forget to use amazon smile when shopping online at Amazon!
· We could use some a few more people to help plan the Hornet Hop. Contact a board member and we’ll connect you with Becky McGuire.
· We need a couple of more people to work as a grant committee to look at staff grant requests and bring recommendations to the PTO. Commitment is one meeting before the October PTO meeting. Contact a board member if you’re interested in helping.
5. Treasurer’s report:
· Tawny provided a spreadsheet with revenue and expenditures for our review.
· We have less revenue this year; we miss the estimated $8000 Target Take Charge used to provide our PTO each year.
· The fall Scholastic book fair proceeds will go to PTO. The spring book fair will be Usbourne Books and proceeds will go to the school media center.
· There was a discussion about the school directory and pricing. It was suggested to charge $7 for the book and online version together and $5 for the online version. This might make for less publishing costs.
· Discussion was held to remind everyone of easy fundraisers like eating at Woodland Pizza and Asian Bowl, saving Box Tops, Milk Moola, etc. We will look into Schwans’ program to give to schools as well as “Coca-Cola gives.” We discussed that we have one main fundraiser (the Read-a-thon) and that there is always “Direct Giving” if you’d like to donate straight to our PTO.
6. New items:
· Having a social night for parents to get to know each other was suggestion. There were several ideas thrown out. If you have good ideas and want to coordinate/chair an event like this, please contact a PTO board member.
7. The meeting was adjourned. Join us Oct. 24th at 6:15 😊