We Need You!
We are excited about all the opportunities for you to get involved at Harriet Bishop (HB)! The following activities are only possible with parent volunteers like you! Volunteering has many benefits such as being a part of a community, making a difference, meeting people, gaining confidence, learning new skills, taking on new challenges and having fun!
We realize not everyone is able to help as each family’s situation is different so know that you are a valuable part of the HB community regardless of volunteer status. We ask that those that are in a position to help out, do so as we work to uplift our whole school.
Current Volunteer Needs
PTO Volunteer Needs
Academic Volunteer Needs
The following are our immediate Academic/School Volunteer Needs. For these volunteer opportunities, you are REQUIRED to have a cleared BACKGROUND CHECK before volunteering. Please see further details below.
- SMART/Science Fair Volunteer Coordinator plans and organizes student projects and events for the annual learning and judged science fair in the spring. This person will communicate with office staff, teachers and parents to distribute applications, encourage student projects and organize volunteers for the event date . Most of the tasks can be accomplished via email. The time commitment is for the school year, with the majority of the work happening after winter break. We already have google forms, task lists, information packets and google slides prepared. The outgoing coordinator is available for questions and consultation.
- SCIENCE FAIR JUDGE – We are looking for a new HEAD JUDGE. The head judge needs to be VERY comfortable with the scientific process and what constitutes a well-executed experiment. The head judge will also manage volunteer judges – communications, training and giving instructions. In addition, the head judge will compile scores and manage communication with parents. This person will work with the SMART/Science Fair Coordinator after winter break.
In addition to PTO volunteer needs, Harriet Bishop (HB) also has opportunities to volunteer for academic programs. Emails for these opportunities will be communicated out from the school, but are also detailed below to provide you a one-stop-shop of all HB’s current PTO and Academic Volunteer opportunities.
Academic / School
These Academic programs and projects enhance the overall learning experience of students and originate from the principal and school staff. These volunteer opportunities occur DURING the school day and volunteers are REQUIRED to have a cleared BACKGROUND CHECK before volunteering. Contact Melanie Liyanage at firstname.lastname@example.org for details on completing a background check and volunteering for Academic/School activities.
- Breakfast With A Book
- Classroom / Teacher Support
- Junior Achievement
- Kindergarten Summer Play Dates
- Media Center Assistants
- New Family Welcome Night
- Picture Days
- Smart Expo
- Smart Fair
Parent Teacher Organization (PTO)
PTO fundraisers, events and services enhance the overall community of Harriet Bishop families and originate from the PTO – the families at HB! Questions? Contact us at email@example.com.
- Amazon Smile
- Asian Bowl Restaurant
- Box Tops for Education
- Coca-Cola Give Program
- Commercial Steam Team
- Direct Giving Program
- Pizza Supreme
- Restaurant Fundraising Nights
- Silent Auction
Events and Services
- Back To School Parade
- Family Fun Nights
- Grant Writing
- Hornet Hop (School Dance)
- International Night
- Parent Social
- School Directory
- School Landscape & Gardens
- School Sign
- School Supplies
- Smart Fair Social
- Spiritwear – School/Community Pride
- Staff Appreciation
- Twins Game Family Outing
** ALL families will receive schoolwide emails for Academic/School related volunteer opportunities. To receive email information on Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) volunteer opportunities, families need to SIGN UP to the volunteer list by sending your name and email to firstname.lastname@example.org or completing the following online form: https://hbpto.net/volunteer/#signup
Sign Up Today!
Be a part of something bigger than yourself.
Volunteer Interest Form
Important Volunteer Information
* PTO VOLUNTEERING focuses on volunteerism related to fundraisers, events and services that enhance the overall community of Harriet Bishop families. These fundraisers, events and services benefit/originate from the PTO.
** ACADEMIC VOLUNTEERING focuses on volunteerism related to academic programs and projects that enhance the overall learning experience of students. These programs and projects originate from the principal and school staff.
REQUIRED BACKGROUND CHECKS:
The school district has a policy that all school volunteers, age 18 and older, are required to complete a background check before they can volunteer in the school during school hours.
If you are planning to volunteer in the school during school hours, please complete the online form as soon as possible so you can have the green light to go ahead with volunteering. The link to “Complete the Volunteer Background Check Form Online” can be found at: https://www.isd191.org/family-resources/volunteer-information.
The cost of a background check is $20 and takes about 3 days to process
Volunteers who have a cleared background check, do not need to redo the background screening unless there has been a gap of two years or more in your volunteering with District 191,
Please contact Melanie Liyanage (email@example.com), at the school office, with any questions.
PLEASE LOG YOUR VOLUNTEER HOURS
When you come to school to volunteer, please sign in on the Volunteer Computer in the Main Office. This will log you in as being at the school and lets the district track who’s volunteering at which school.
Once you have logged in, please use one of the volunteer badges that are available in the office for you to use during school hours.
During non-school hours events, you do not have to wear a volunteer badge.
If you forget to log in on the computer at school, you can log your hours from home. The link to “Log Volunteer Hours” can be found at: https://www.isd191.org/family-resources/volunteer-information
When you click that, the screen will be the same as what you see on the school’s computer. Fill out the information and save.