Wild About Reading
Harriet Bishop PTO Read-A-Thon: April 5 – April 23, 2021
We are excited to kick-off the Harriet Bishop PTO Read-A-Thon! This is our BIGGEST ANNUAL FUNDRAISING EVENT and is the only school-wide fundraising event that directly involves every Harriet Bishop student and family from PreK to 5th Grade. We are hoping for 100% participation, and thank you in advance for helping us reach our goal and supporting the students at Harriet Bishop as we live out our school motto of :
“Every Person Welcomed; Every Person Included; Every Person Valued”
Our total school goal for 2021 is $25,000
Please visit our FUNDFUB ONLINE Fundraising Wesbite where you will find information on:
- How much we have raised relative to our goal
- How to register your student/s to start collecting online donations
- Event Dates and Updates
- Schoolwide Donation Rewards and Incentives
- Classroom Donations Leaderboard
- Our generous sponsors
Ways To Donate
Create an ONLINE** FUNDRAISING PAGE for each of your students as follows:
- Register your Child by visiting https://www.getmovinfundhub.com/register. For School Identifier use 5dc3224dd1879
- Email and/ or Text your child’s student fundraising webpage to friends and family
- Post on Facebook or Twitter You’ll be surprised when donations come in from distant relatives/friends from High School/co-workers. Post and see what happens!
** NOTE: The PTO receives 100% of cash/check donations where online donations are subject to administrative fees.
Using the PLEDGE FORM provided at school, to keep track of cash/check donations collected by your student/s. Enclose all cash/checks in an envelope/ziplock bag and return to your teacher (in-person students) / school office (Virtual Academy students) to the school by April 23, 2021.
Employer Matching Gifts
Find out if your employer is one of the thousands of corporations that match donations that you make and complete their application form
What is a Read-A-Thon and how does it work?
A Read-A-Thon is an event during which students read in order to raise money. For the Harriet Bishop Read-A-Thon, students, with the help of their parents/caregivers, collect money between April 5th and April 23rd to support the Read-A-Thon. The Read-A-Thon, which is 60 minutes of reading (this will differ for Virtual Academy (VA) students), will take place at school/virtually on April 23rd, followed by a celebratory (virtual) Pep Fest on April 28th!
Why are we having a Read-A-Thon?
The PTO is a nonprofit that funds programs that directly support each student. Over the past 2 years, 60% of the PTO’s gross revenue received has been through the Read-A-Thon. The PTO has distributed it’s funds raised through the Read-A-Thon (and other fundraisers) over the following areas:
- 37% on SCHOOL (Playground improvements (swing set, gaga ball, game table, climbing wall), Yearbooks, Directories, PBIS, Safety Patrols, Spiritwear t-shirt for each student, Unity Mural)
- 25% on CLASSROOM (Classroom supplies / equipment based on teacher requests, Online Learning subscriptions, Phy Ed / music equipment, Artist in Residence)
- 20% on SCHOOL EVENTS (Hornet Hop, Smart Fair, Read-a-Thon, PTO speakers, Back-to-school night)
- 13% on FIELD TRIPS (Kindness Retreat, Base Camp, Creativity Festival, Transportation to Ebenezer or musical events, in-house Science Museum)
- 2.5% on COMMUNITY (International night, Service Day, Brainpower in a Backpack)
- 2.5% on ADMIN (PTO expenses such as copy fees, website fees and bank fees)
What are the Key Read-A-Thon Dates?
- April 5, 2021 – April 23, 2021 – Event Dates
- April 8 and April 15 – Return Pledge Forms and money (cash and checks). We count weekly and share fundraising progress with students/families.
- April 23, 2021 – LAST DAY to return Pledge Forms and money (cash and checks)
- April 23, 2021 – READ-A-THON Day in classrooms and in VA
- April 28, 2021 – LAST DAY for ONLINE donations at FundHub
- April 28, 2021 – PEP FEST – Virtual Read-A-Thon celebration in classrooms and in VA!
Parents/Caregivers, why participate?
Why would your student/s and family participate in the Read-A-Thon?
- Help build your student’s confidence by supporting them in their ask of friends, family and neighbors for pledges (read more about this in the student’s section).
- To support the funding of programs that this Read-A-Thon provides to your student/s.
- We consider Harriet Bishop to be a family, and so we work together to help each other. Together we know we can achieve great things!
- Support our school by choosing Harriet Bishop PTO for your regular charitable contributions.
Hey Students, this part is for YOU!
As part of the Read-A-Thon Fundraiser, we have fun prizes planned that you (with the help of your parents/caregivers) can help all the students at Harriet Bishop enjoy! This is your opportunity to share with friends, family and neighbors how much you love Harriet Bishop and ask them to support your education by supporting the Read-A-Thon fundraiser. Let them know that no amount is too little as every bit helps towards providing you awesome opportunities at Harriet Bishop. If you need a little help on what to say, here is an example script you can use/adapt.
2021 COVID NOTE: Please be safe while collecting donations. Use the online fundraising page, make phone calls, send emails, etc. Please remember to practice social distancing and wear a mask when talking in-person. We do not recommend going door-to-door this year.
EXAMPLE FUNDRAISING SCRIPT
Hello, my name is _________ , and I am raising money for Harriet Bishop Elementary School’s annual fundraising Read-A-Thon.
PARENT/CAREGIVER or STUDENT: The Read-A-Thon is an all school event, held on April 23rd, where all students will be reading for 100 minutes and participating in other fun reading activities.
STUDENT: All the money raised goes towards student activities………
PARENT/CAREGIVER or STUDENT: ……….that enhance student learning and the development of the Harriet Bishop community like Reading Apps, Service Projects, Junior Achievement, Kindness retreats, Playground Equipment and Patrol, to name a few.
STUDENT: Would you be willing to support my school with a donation of any amount? No amount is too little as every bit helps towards providing students awesome opportunities at Harriet Bishop.
- (If they say YES, and give you MONEY): Thank you so much for your donation towards Harriet Bishop
- (If they say MAYBE): When may be the best time for me to check back in with you?
- (if they say NO, they can’t help): Thank you so much for your time today
- HAVE A GREAT DAY!
The Exciting Activities and Prizes for Read-A-Thon 2021
- Students who complete and submit their READING BINGO BOARD will receive a token just for participating.
- Additionally, students who complete and submit their READING BINGO BOARDS) will be entered into a weekly lucky draw for the opportunity to win additional prizes!. The attached READING BINGO BOARD includes all the details you need to enter.
- Completed READING BINGO BOARDs should be submitted (in school or via Seesaw) no later than Thursday each week of Read-A-Thon to be included in the Friday drawings.
- Weekly Lucky Draw Winners will be announced on Mondays during Read-A-Thon, and prizes will be distributed in school or made available at VA pickup.
- Click here to download your BINGO BOARDS
School Wide Prizes!
Read-A-Thon Pajama Day
Bring a stuffed animal to read with on Read-A-Thon Day
Extra Recess or Mr. Essay reads a story via zoom (Classroom Choice)
Specialist Teachers Dance Party at PEP Fest
Specialist Teachers Dance Party with Mr Essay – Mr. Essay joins the Specialist teachers in dancing at PEP Fest
Minute to Win It Games – Teachers participate in Minute to Win It games which are live streamed and/or recorded and presented to students at PEP Fest
Mr. Essay holds a RAD Zoo reptile during the RAD Zoo video
Mr. Essay will have a Sleepover at Harriet Bishop
READ-A-THON CORPORATE SPONSORS
A Special Thanks to our Corporate Sponsors who make the prizes possible! Please support them, as they support us!
- Crown Rental (www.crownrent.com)
- Golden Heart Senior Care (goldenheartbloomingtonmn.com)
- Eye 35 Eye Care (www.eye35eyecare.com)
- JBergstrom Graphic Design (www.jbergstromgraphicdesign.com)
- Hy Vee – Savage (www.hy-vee.com)
- Learning RX – Savage (www.learningrx.com/savage)
- Kwik Trip – Savage (www.kwiktrip.com)